Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Creating the Madness

Whew! I am busy, busy, busy. I have a full-time, 7-3:30 job, I'm in my last semester of my master's program, I teach Sunday School, it seems that every weekend there is some event we have to attend and I'm trying really hard to exercise everyday.

Believe me, I do not think I'm the busiest person in the world. I know that lots of people have many more unchecked tasks on their to-do lists than me. Nonetheless, it seems like I can't catch a break.

I'm performing pretty well at work but I am forgetting some things (like showing up to take pictures at an event two weeks ago. my bad.) I'm doing well in school (I guess. we've only had 3 assignments due), but I can say that I'm sick and tired of it already. By the time I graduate I will have been in school for 6.5 years, and I'll only have my master's. I went straight through, I only changed majors and schools once, never failed a class and never took a semester off. You would think I would have been done sooner. I'm also really tired of the drive. I have to drive 1.5 hours each way to get to and from school. I hate driving to begin with. I wish I had a chauffer. Any takers?

And just as a side note, I'm not just tired of classes and driving, but I'm really sick of dealing with stupid universities. Example: My advisor told me that the track I was taking would have me done with classes in December and finishing up after taking comps in January. What he failed to tell me was that to be able to take comps I have to register as a one hour student, which will cost me about $300 and because I'm registered as a student in the spring semester I won't get my diploma until May. So what am I supposed to do for four months while I wait for my diploma to come in? STUPID!

Anyway, I also teach a Sunday School class at my church (seven and eight year olds). I don't mind doing it but I feel like I'm not giving it 100% because I'm so busy with other things. We're supposed to take time planning our lessons and doing all the prepared readings, but my preparation consists of throwing the lesson together on Sunday morning and cutting stuff out while I'm sitting in the pugh when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the speaker. (shout out to the Zs who sit behind me. I'm sorry, I know I'm a distraction.)

And why is it that our social life requires so much attention? Can't we just be friends and leave it at that? No, we have to go to weddings, baby showers, engagement parties, house-warming parties, Monday night football, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love to do all these things and be with friends and family, but when you're as popular as I am it's just non-stop (seriously :).

Now, for the exercising. I'm 5'4" and I weight 123 lbs. Why is this not good enough? I'm skinny but according to this chart I'm reaching the top of my weight class so I could stand to lose a few. So why then is it so hard to do? I don't eat that much....cereal for breakfast, yogurt for snack, sandwich for lunch, maybe a few cookies when I get home and then something small for dinner. And don't even tell me that it's the cookies. I only eat about four or five and it's NOT every day. I drink water ALL day and if I ever have anything different it's milk or juice in the morning or a Sprite every other week.I try to run or do the eliptical 3-4 times a week and I run a 5k every month.  What's the problem!?

Oh, how I long for a long weekend where I can take bubble baths, sleep-in and watch old movies. But then again I know that would make me feel so unproductive.

It's me....I create the madness.