Monday, November 1, 2010

Women Finally Onboard

On Saturday, I watched the movie G.I. Jane. I've always liked this movie. It's one of those that I can watch every time it comes on no matter how many times I've seen it before. It's just so empowering! (You can watch the trailer below.)

Then Monday I came to work and started catching up on all the Navy news. I came across an article entitled "Navy Picks First 4 Subs to Get Female Officers." Huh?

So I started reading...

The first sentence states, "The Navy has selected four commands as the first submarines to integrate women, a process expected to begin late next year, the Navy announced Thursday." Hold up. Let me get this straight. It's 2010 and the Navy is just now allowing women to board submarines!

G.I. Jane came out in 1997 and there is a particular scene where Demi Moore's character mentions that she was turned down for a position on the submarine because there were no female bathrooms onboard.

So 13 years later the Navy is finally considering this to be a major issue. And they are acting as if it's an act of heroism. As if women should have never expected to be allowed onboard and they are simply doing us a favor. Well, thank you very much United States Navy for suppressing the female gender.