Friday, December 3, 2010

100 Books to Read in Your Life

My aunt recently sent me a list of 100 books you should read in your lifetime. Now that I'm finished with all my college classes (you heard me right...FINISHED!) I'm beginning a new adventure. I want to read and own (hardback only please) every book on the list. I can just see my bookshelves now filled with all the greatest literary works...*sigh*.

Although I'm extremely turned off to fantasy books I will at least read the first book in the series. (I apologize to all my Twlight, Harry Potter fanatics. Plus, I know Aunt J will be proud :) Besides, reading only the first book brings my total to exactly 100.

Here's the list if you would like to join me on this adventure...

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
I think I'll begin with this one...since it's Christmas time and all :)

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
The Holy Bible (I have started this but would rather stick to the BOM because it's so much easier.)
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
Nineteen Eighty Four, by George Orwell
His Dark Materials, by Philip Pullman
Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
Complete Works of Shakespeare (Oh boy, this will be a doozy! For those of you wondering, it includes 42 pieces of work that are basically written in a foreign language.)
Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier
The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien
Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks
Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Middlemarch, by George Eliot
Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bleak House, by Charles Dickens
War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh
Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll
The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame
Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens
Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
Emma, by Jane Austen
Persuasion, by Jane Austen
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis (I'm not sure why this is listed separately as it is part of the Chronicles of Narnia.)
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, by Louis De Berniere
Memoirs of a Geisha, by Willaim Golden
Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne (This one should be easy...I hope.)
Animal Farm, by George Orwell (I've actually already read this. I know I'm from Mississippi, but we were actually required to read this in high school. But I think I will read it again :)
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown
One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabrial Garcia Marquez
A Prayer for Owen Meaney, by John Irving
The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins
Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery (I love this movie!)
Far from the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy
The Handmaids Tale, by Margaret Atwood
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding (I read this one too in high school. It's crazy! I highly recommend it.)
Atonement, by Ian McEwan
Life of Pi, by Yann Martell
Dune, by Frank Herbert
Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons
Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen
A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth
The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens (Believe it or not, I did start this one...it's incredibly hard to read. I might have to move it to the bottom of the list.)
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, by Mark Haddon
Love in the Time of Cholera, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
The Secret History, by Donna Tartt
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas
On the Road, by Jack Kerouac
Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy
Bridget Jones’s Diary, by Helen Fielding (I hope the book is as good as the movie.)
Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie
Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
Dracula, by Bram Stoker
The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson (I love love LOVE the 1993 adaptation of this movie. It's so sweet.)
Notes from a Small Island, by Bill Bryson
Ulysses, by James Joyce
The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome
Germinal, by Emile Zola
Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray
Possession, by A.S. Byatt
Cloud Atlas, by Charles Mitchell
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker (Another great movie!)
The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro
Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry
Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White
The Five People You Meet In Heaven, by Mitch Albom
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Faraway Tree collection, by Enid Blyton
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupery
The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks
Watership Down, by Richard Adams
A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute
The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas
Hamlet, by William Shakespeare (Again, I don't know why this one is listed seperately from the works of Shakespear.)
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl
Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

Gollee, that's a lot of books! Can't I just watch the movies?...just kidding.