Thursday, August 4, 2011

Working 9-to-5...but why?

Read here>>>>Would you like a shorter workweek?

Such a silly question. Of course, I would love a shorter workweek! Who wouldn't?

I'm always telling the hubby that we are away from our home and family for far too many hours each day. His reply: "That's life." I sit and ponder this.

Is this our life? I'm at work, or en route to work, about 9 hours each day. The hubby is at work/en route to work for 11-12 hours each day. That leaves us with about 3-4 hours a day to spend time with one another.

But wait. We also have to fit in the grocery shopping, exercising, cleaning the house, mowing the grass and all the other things on life's list of things to do.

It's very VERY rare that we have time to just lounge around and do whatever we feel like. He says it's because I keep us too busy with so many outside commitments. My reply to him: "That's life."

The only justifiable answer I can come up with is that workforce hours need to be shortened. I guess for that to happen the economy would have to slow down. Maybe employ more people to work less hours, which means lower incomes and less spending, which means fewer jobs...so no, that wouldn't work.

But do you see how our "booming" American economy has forced us to be slaves in this so-called free country!?

Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I just don't think it's fair.

Family should come first in this life, not work. So why do we agree to devote a third of our lives to something we despise? Is it just because we have to?

Someone please give me a solution to this dilemma.