Friday, January 20, 2012

What's Your Work Ethic?

Recently, I heard that good writing requires you to write about something in particular that bothers you but doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I try to implement this characteristic when I'm blogging. However, I have found that there are lots of things that seem to bother me whilst they don't bother anyone else. But surely I can't write about old men who drive sports cars or people who simply choose not to respond to your message on Facebook or your text. It's like hello, I know you got the message...just flippn answer me! But I will spare those Corvette-driving old men and the I-got-your-message-but-I'm-either-avoiding-you-or-too-inconsiderate-to-reply people.

Today, I will address work ethic. Without being too divulging or incriminating (possibly self-incriminating) I would like to state that the work ethic of my fellow employees SUCKS! There, I said it.

Side note: I would like to affirm that obviously  not 100% of the workforce has bad work ethic, but it would be a safe bet to say that the majority does.

Not to mention, that these really sucky employees cannot be fired--their immune and they know it, which only perpetuates the situation.

I work with over 1,000 people and for some reason this indolent issue doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I don't know if they have just been here too long so they're used to it or if they just choose to ignore it because they don't want to be the ones to put an end to all the "fun" people are having at work.

I'm considered very young, a baby even, when it comes to our country's workforce. And with the reputation my generation has you would think that I wouldn't have a problem joining in on the "fun." But I just can't allow myself to sincerely accept a paycheck every other week if I know I haven't done a single thing to improve the organization that I work for. But why not? None of these people have a problem with it.

I think I was just raised to be a working bee. My mother always put us to work on something, whether it was cleaning the house (quite a task with six kids running around), gardening or cleaning the pool. And even after the cleaning and gardening was done and there was nothing to do, she would start remodeling the house. It was constant work growing up. And my grandfather never allowed us to do anything, in his own words, "half-ass." Constantly working towards perfection--that's how I was raised.

So you see I can't help but to be bothered by people's lazy work ethic. It's quite laughable actually when you think about all the money that's going to waste in this place. It's like come on people, if you don't have anything to do then create something, better your work environment, make a name for yourself, be successful.

Some days, I think I might scream.