Monday, February 27, 2012

Suffering

I've been thinking a lot about suffering lately. Especially since I made the mistake of watching this video.



Really? A ball is something he's always wanted and never had.

Or what about this guy?



A hard-working man who faces a daily struggle.

So many stories like these are going on all over the world and I give such little thought to the affect it has on these people.

I live a very comfortable lifestyle. I don't just have clothes on my back, food in my belly and a shelter over my head. I have a very comfortable king size bed that drifts me away to dreamland every night. I have warm running water that I can stand under and waste on my not-so-dirty body every day. I hold all the knowledge of the world right at my fingertips 24/7. I have shoes. Not just one pair but lots of them--shoes that are comfortable, shoes that look sexy, shoes in every color.

My biggest concern on a daily basis is wondering if I will be able to get my workout in for the day or what we will eat for dinner because of course "we never have any food in the house."

Sure, I grew up a little poor. I've known what it's like to go without, but not in the way that most people experience it.

Why? Why do I live in the lap of luxury and others are sentenced to a life of suffering?

I know that there are millions of charities to donate to, to help the less fortunate. But that's not at all what I'm advertising. Sometimes I just feel as if I don't suffer enough.

Yes, I do have trials. I just don't feel like they compare to what the rest of the world may be is going through. We are supposed to learn from our tribulations, but am I learning as much as Richie or Rique? I don't know.