Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games & Racism

Raise your hand if you read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I would raise three if I had three hands because I read all three books of that amazingly entrancing suspenseful series. I even went to the midnight premiere (never doing that again by the way).


It was so good! Despite the lack of a lot of details found in the book, which I know is physically impossible unless you wanted the movie to be 20 hours long, I found it was pretty spot on. There wasn't any big changes or huge shockers near the end. It was straighforward.

So you can imagine my surprise when I read this article>>>>Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed. Um, what? Thank you Dodai Stewart for pointing out a major problem that still exists in the world we live in today.

About 20 million people strapped on their boots and headed to the theaters everywhere to watch the most awaited film since Twilight. And a few of those people were, shall I dare say it, racist.

As viewers flocked to Twitter, Stewart was scouring for comments about the film that was sure to be all the rage.

It was there that she found comments like this: "why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie" and "why did the producer make all the good characters black smh" and "call me racist but when i found out rue was black her death wasn't as sad #ihatemyself." And that's not all. People are even quoted calling the character a "black bitch" and a "nigger." Wow...really!?

Courtesy of manilovefilms.com.

Now call me crazy but when I read the book I pictured Rue to be a black person. The author clearly states that she has dark skin and my mind conjured up a little black lanky girl with long black hair. So you can imagine how angry I was to see that Rue had short hair. I mean that really pissed me off!...

Uh, not!

Why the anger people? It's a movie with some black characters in it just like you live in a world with black people in it. Maybe you should seriously consider stepping a little further than your front door step and experience real culture, instead of mindlessly walking through the ethnocentric bubble you have created for yourself.

Use this as a wake up call. It's time to broaden your horizon.