Monday, May 2, 2011

Why Animals Are So Awesome!

My dog, Scout, is pretty awesome. I know everyone says that about their dog, but mine really is the greatest :)

Case and point:

On Easter, my mother-in-law's next door neighbor has a little girl who decided to bring her new guinea pig over to "show." I happen to look outside and my niece is frantically pointing to the woods, and I see Scout jumping into the woods. I walk to the door and hear her yelling "The guinea pig! The guinea pig!" and the little girl is standing with an empty container crying "My other one died." The hubby and I run outside assuming the worst. I'm thinking my dog has taken this poor little girl's new Easter pet and gobbled it up...my dog is about to emerge from these woods with a bloody massacre all over her mouth...how will I ever make it up to this little girl?

But lo and behold, Scout emerges from the woods, guinea pig in-tow, and offers the pet back to the child. After a close look, it is obvious that nothing is wrong with the little fur ball. And I inquire with my niece about what happened.

She explains that when the little girl brought the guinea pig over it jumped out of the container and ran into the woods. Scout quickly went after it and brought it back to the little girl. The pet then leaped from the little girl's arms again and headed for the woods. Scout once again jumped into the woods and brought the pet back to its owner. My niece said that Scout very gently handed over the pet not just once, but twice!

This story makes me think of two things: first, what the heck is that little girl doing to that poor guinea pig to make it so persistent in running away? and I am so inspired by the nurturing and intellectual capabilities that animals truly have.

I love my puppy :)